Membership ProspectusPrint This Post
Waverly Street Gallery is a co-operative of approximately 24 local artists who exhibit their work in a gallery space at 4600 East West Highway in Bethesda. The gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday, 12 noon to 6 pm.
Shows are scheduled for one month’s duration with all members given display space each month. The December show is exclusively for the partners, that is, there is no featured artist during this show. The gallery is closed in August. For the remaining months, a featured artist(s), juried by the membership, is given prime space in the gallery. A partner may be a featured artist after two years membership in the gallery, however we are limited to five member shows per calendar year.
Members pay a 20% commission on work sold during an all-partners show (December) and when showing as a featured artist. Otherwise, there is a 10% commission charged to a member. Each member pays a set, monthly fee (dues) that covers gallery expenses.
A prospective partner must be a working artist able to play an active role in helping to manage and operate an art gallery. To become a member, an individual must submit their website along with current work to be juried by the gallery members. We also encourage prospective members to attend gallery openings to afford the opportunity to meet the current partners with whom they will be working.
Gallery members are expected to:
- Regularly produce new work
- Gallery sit approximately once per month
- Pay monthly dues on time
- Participate as a member of a committee (administration, maintenance, exhibitions, or marketing)
- Attend monthly general membership meetings
- Assist in setting up shows (once every four months)
- Curate shows once every two years
- Attend openings
- Give a one year commitment to the gallery
- Give a one month notification if resigning and continue with responsibilities for that period.
Jurying of prospective members is done when there are space openings.
Please email Ann Deutermann at firstname.lastname@example.org for upcoming jury dates and application instructions.